December 2, 2010

Step Two: Behavior Modification

It's working. I can't believe it's working.

The Fighting Poodles are no longer Fighting Poodles! It's only taken a few weeks, ok, maybe I should look at the date of that last post, but it's been a quick transition from argument to play, and from fighting to sleeping together. Awww....

We employed the rules of heirarchy and order: All kids must obey the sit command and wait for permission to eat/go outside/receive a snack. Anyone growling on the couch is gingerly removed from said couch, without a word. If an arguement breaks out,Mom leaves the room (unless that isn't convenient, in which case I provide a distraction (turn off the TV, open or close a door, open or close the drapes...almost anything works)).

And the most important thing: I have to say completely C A L M !

This evening I came home from work and the kids were a little excited, as per usual. Our ritual is that everyone gets a brief greeting (hello Katie, hello Frankie, hello Ava) and then I walk away, so that my arrival is NO BIG DEAL.

However. I failed to make my escape in time, and Katie and Ava were vying for attention. There was a litte growling from Ava, and Katie started to tense up, and began growling...uh oh...It is ON like Donkey Kong!

So I quietly said, "Katie." I looked into Katie's eyes, and I inhaled deeply, and breathed out slowly. A slow, cleansing breath. Katie looked at me, and took her own slow, cleansing breath....and her body relaxed.

We're learning! We're All learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment