July 20, 2010

Another Summer Tradition, RUINED.

Like a lot of Southern California residents, I always looked forward to summer, and Opening Day at the Races at Del Mar, also known as the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. Its a completely unique party, one with excitement, horses, great-looking people, and fun, fun, fun!

I love horses, horses love to run, we love to watch them, and who doesn't love a cool beverage with a view of the ocean, surrounded by gorgeous people? It's awesome. Except for one little thing...

The Horses. What no one wants to talk about on Opening Day of the races, is the long list of fatal injuries sustained by horses at Del Mar, every year, so that we can have a party. For some reason, we are (and I have been, until now) able to shield our eyes, our hearts, and our conscience from a very gruesome truth:

The Races are cruel. It's not the running, but the industry norms have become (or have been) deadly for many horses, who have unnecessary pain for our pleasure.

The rest of my rant is made complete in the following well-written and factually accurate op ed piece: http://www.sandiego.com/beach-life/opening-day-at-del-mar-remember-the-horses. Please read it, and find something less insensitive to do with your summer. I will miss the fun, but frankly, the knowing has ruined horse racing for me forever.

If the industry changes the rules to favor healthy horses, and instututes stricter protections to save lives, I would consider returning. As it is, I have seen my last Opening Day at Del Mar.

No comments:

Post a Comment